Observatory Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
kausonic
kausonic
Newbie Member
Posts Posts : 10

Gold Gold : 29460

Likes Likes : 0

Lightsabers Empty Lightsabers

6/30/2016, 5:57 am
The hype is real.
I'm getting a lightsaber (replica) soon, and I placed a bid for one on eBay. Only 18 more hours stay calm...
Anyways does anyone here like Star Wars? Or does anyone have a lightsaber? Or does anyone know some cool tricks with lightsabers, katanas, etc.? I'm a second degree black belt in taekwon-do, but since taekwon-do is mostly just kicking and punching, I have a rather limited knowledge of fighting with an implement. Or at least, doing cool stunts and tricks with an implement. Any tips?

lol this is pretty off-topic even for the Pit of Offtopicness
Elishima
Elishima
Standard Member
Posts Posts : 344

Gold Gold : 54388

Likes Likes : 16

Lightsabers Empty Re: Lightsabers

6/30/2016, 12:01 pm
NOTHING IS TOO OFF-TOPIC IN THE PIT OF OFFTOPICNESS

Anyway though, minor Star Wars fan here.

First thing I wanna know, how much did that Lightsaber even cost???
kausonic
kausonic
Newbie Member

6/30/2016, 12:19 pm
Currently I'm looking at $103. But since it's an auction (on eBay) that price is bound to go up at least $15. That's what I saw on the last on that I bid on (which I lost of course lol). I'm fine as long as the price isn't above $135-ish.
As for where I got the money, a long time ago, I got a prepaid card from my uncle who's kinda rich. It had $250 on it. It expires next year in January so I'm like YOLO and here I am
XD that made no sense at all but I think you get the point
Z
Z
Newbie Member
Posts Posts : 12

Gold Gold : 29131

Likes Likes : 2

6/30/2016, 1:03 pm
Y'don't wanna be swinging an expensive replica around without practice. I'd buy a bokken (wooden katana) or shinai (aka 'Kendo Stick') for that. once you have your practice blade, get out and practice. here's a good starting point:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/kendo-katas
have fun!
kausonic
kausonic
Newbie Member

6/30/2016, 1:12 pm
Z wrote:Y'don't wanna be swinging an expensive replica around without practice. I'd buy a bokken (wooden katana) or shinai (aka 'Kendo Stick') for that. once you have your practice blade, get out and practice. here's a good starting point:
have fun!
First of all, I love your profile pic lol

Now, for the serious (in comparison) part, I actually do have 2 kendo sticks and a bo-staff. And a knife. And nunchucks lol
Actually my kendo sticks are kinda variants of the normal ones, as mine don't have handles. They're actually Filipino fighting sticks. They're about 2 and a half feet long, and that's where the real problem is. I can use those to practice techniques (which I do), but I won't really get the true feel of my lightsaber because the blade of my lightsaber on it's own is longer than 2 and a half feet. The hilt of the lightsaber is 11 inches, blade 33 inches.
Regarding practice, I do practice quite a bit, and I can do basic spins and attacks. I can't really do anything advanced yet.
And yes the lightsaber is a collectible lol
Master Replicas 2005 Anakin Skywalker
Elishima
Elishima
Standard Member
Posts Posts : 344

Gold Gold : 54388

Likes Likes : 16

6/30/2016, 1:30 pm
kausonic wrote:
Z wrote:Y'don't wanna be swinging an expensive replica around without practice. I'd buy a bokken (wooden katana) or shinai (aka 'Kendo Stick') for that. once you have your practice blade, get out and practice. here's a good starting point:
have fun!
First of all, I love your profile pic lol

Now, for the serious (in comparison) part, I actually do have 2 kendo sticks and a bo-staff. And a knife. And nunchucks lol
Actually my kendo sticks are kinda variants of the normal ones, as mine don't have handles. They're actually Filipino fighting sticks. They're about 2 and a half feet long, and that's where the real problem is. I can use those to practice techniques (which I do), but I won't really get the true feel of my lightsaber because the blade of my lightsaber on it's own is longer than 2 and a half feet. The hilt of the lightsaber is 11 inches, blade 33 inches.
Regarding practice, I do practice quite a bit, and I can do basic spins and attacks. I can't really do anything advanced yet.
And yes the lightsaber is a collectible lol
Master Replicas 2005 Anakin Skywalker
Ah.

Well, there's not really much you can actually do in the meantime except for just practicing with those kendo sticks. Unless you have a katana or other light swords you can use, you'll need to practice handling something that's as long as a lightsaber. Which, in all honesty, would help better if you just waited until you got your saber.

Practicing the basic stuff should suffice for now, but until you actually get a feel for you lightsaber, you probably won't be able to learn anything advanced. Especially since there's literally no real weapon that's like a lightsaber lol
kausonic
kausonic
Newbie Member

7/1/2016, 12:08 am
I have good news and bad news. In my opinion, the bad news is worse.

Good News: I won the auction, so I got the lightsaber.
Bad News: It cost me $40 more than I was expecting.

I should have just let this one go, and tried to get another one when this one was around the $155 mark...
Nickural
Nickural
Standard Member
Posts Posts : 388

Gold Gold : 34828

Likes Likes : 43

7/1/2016, 9:28 am
I think I know what you are talking about, i've got a million of them at my house because of childhood.
kausonic
kausonic
Newbie Member

7/2/2016, 12:24 am
Luigifan889 wrote:I think I know what you are talking about, i've got a million of them at my house because of childhood.
You do? These are collectible items we're talking about, not the cheap plastic ones that pop out like Russian nesting dolls. 
Anyways, I ended up cancelling the purchase because I felt like I was paying too much. But, the Force guides everything, so I guess this means that lightsaber was not meant for me lol
I'll find a lightsaber eventually, I already have my hopes set on another three that I found.
Nickural
Nickural
Standard Member
Posts Posts : 388

Gold Gold : 34828

Likes Likes : 43

7/2/2016, 1:22 am
Yeah the ones i've got are plastic, guess I didn't pay much attention to the main post, sorry.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum